Friday, February 16, 2007

Things I Covet


I work from outside our institutional firewalls...way outside. Fortunately this is easy to overcome with remote access tools like GoToMyPC our institutional VPN and XP Remote Desktop and so on. What is less easy to manage is my limited screen space, given that I am often connected to three computers, not counting the local PC that I'm actually working on.

I've always been a bit of a window-pig, but lately with a videoconference window, local GoToMeeting control panel, a connection to my remote PC, and then a connection on that remote PC to a server in our server room, plus whatever applications I'm using to demo whatever it is I'm talking to my videoconference victims about -- well you see my dilemma.

Enter the dual monitor fantasy. It never occurred to me that I could have such a thing, but then I find that many
bloggers and even Microsoft saying its a piece of cake. And so I've decided that I must have it.

LCD monitors are cheaper than ever, and so I'm rushing out today (literally!) to get myself an additional monitor for a nominal fee. This is after I check whether my videocard will support such mayhem.

I kinda wish I wasn't my own IT guy. But then again, I'd probably have to wait a month for our real IT gal to do this, so it's likely a good thing I can act on my wild impulses. Right?

No comments: