Wednesday, February 7, 2007

There are some jobs you just can't do


One of the classic arguments against telecommuting is that there are some jobs that you just can't do in your slippers. And while this is true, it turns out that being a doctor may not be one of them. I just found this October 2006 article in USAToday of all places, about a physician who telecommutes from Israel. For some of the people profiled, working in a radically different timezone is an advantage -- one radiologist is able to read films for the graveyard shift while she's fresh and awake in daylight, for example.

They all note what I've discovered, too: working an East Coast job (with the concommittant pay level) while being physically located in a place where the living is easy (i.e. cheap) is the killer benefit. Besides not paying to drive anywhere, not buying myself a $7 sandwich every day for lunch, and so on, I'm also able to live in a much more affordable part of the country.

I think I'll go make myself a bowl of oatmeal. And a latte.

No comments: