Monday, February 12, 2007

Big Ol' Jet Airliner


I feel a surge of exuberance every time I plan a trip back to the Real Office. Maybe it's just the prospect of spending five hours sitting quietly on an airplane without anyone wiping snot on me (at least that's how I'm hoping things go -- I realize there are no guarantees), but I am way looking forward to getting out of the house.


My upcoming trip to the Real Office will be different than the prior two, in that I'll be spending the whole week actually there. My previous sojourns have been in part for off-site events. They've been like the worst part of both worlds: like a vacation in that I'm not in my (home) office and so I'm not getting things done like I should, and like being at work in that I'm not home and I'm on the go from morning 'til night. This trip should be significantly less madcap, and I'll have more flexibility in terms of scheduling face-to-face meetings with colleagues and coworkers.


That face-to-face stuff is really the point of going. I've written about my shut-in tendencies, and how I miss the casual encounters in the office. This trip should help me get back in touch with all the interesting, fun, creative people in the Real Office.


Plus I'll get some knitting done.

No comments: