Monday, April 2, 2007

You've Really Let Yourself Go


One of the risks of the shut-in lifestyle is extreme dowdiness, I'm discovering. Aside from the potential to become enormously fat due to refrigerator proximity, it turns out that you have to actively resist the urge to wear sloppier and more disheveled clothing as time goes on. Or maybe it is that you have to bolster the urge to purchase clothing for yourself on a regular basis.


Despite the fact that I am a faithful follower of Go Fug Yourself, I am not, how you say, a fashion plate. If left to my own devices, I might could still be wearing outfits that would not look out of place on Cyndi Lauper circa "She's So Unusual." But time marches on, and frankly I'm getting a little old for all that. Having stylish teenage nieces and a critical ten year old daughter is a help in getting out of that rut. But the very fact that I rely on teenage constituents for fashion advice may mean that you should take my recommendations with a grain of salt. Nevertheless.


There are some things that I don't think any telecommuter should give in to:


1. Elastic waist pants. In general, wearing anything in your office that is meant for sleeping, exercising, or swimming is a bad idea. Elastic waist pants just lead to making it easier to ignore one's burgeoning waistline, and it's not a good idea. I don't care how comfortable it is.


2. Wrinkled or dirty clothing. I know that the resolution on most webcams is not so good that the wrinkles will show, but it's the principle of the thing. Likewise, no smell-o-vision yet, but you have to sit in your office with you. Why not have a pleasant time of it?


3. Owning only extremely casual clothing. No, you don't have to dress up for work. Yes, everyone knows you work at home. But dressing like a hobo all the time for every event you attend in your life is not really for the best. You still have to go out and occasionally meet clients, right? Or have lunch with friends who work in Real Offices? Or god forbid go on a job interview every now and then? Date night with your spouse or significant other? You should have something presentable to wear for these occasions, and while it need not be fashion forward, it should probably be from this decade. Every once in a while, pick up a new something that is not slippers.


Although I think I need some spring slippers -- something that I can wander around in the yard in without getting them gross. Maybe some Crocs. Don't tell the Go Fug Yourself girls!

No comments: