Friday, April 20, 2007

Less Fun from Afar


Okay, telecommuting isn't all sunshine and roses (although it is a very nice day and my rosebushes are really bolting). It turns out that attending office send-off parties is much less fun from a distance. It's kind of like being the ghost of teleworkers distant -- you can see them, but after a while they really don't notice you that much. Plus I'm missing out on empanadas and crab dip.


This is why I'm glad I'm going to be able to fly in for my beloved manager's farewell party. I won't be a fly on the wall, and I'll get to show him my profound appreciation for the years of learning and fun he's given me on the job, for the trust that he showed in me by allowing me to do this crazy telecommuting thing, and for just being an all around good guy and one of the smartest people I know.
The real question that I need to answer is this: Is my telecommuting arrangement in jeopardy because of this major, major management change? Our Real Office is heading into an uncertain time, and I just don't know if it will be a) easier to navigate because I'm isolated from the day-to-day rumor mill; or b) harder to navigate because I'm isolated from the day-to-day rumor mill.
Does anyone need a systems analyst who can really, really write?

No comments: