Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Telecommute Job: Right-Wing Radio Host

Here's a job option for those seeking a remote work arrangement: this article from the New York Times profiles a radio personality who telecommutes. This guy is commenting on Arizona politics from California. So he reads the paper, takes internet feeds of the local news, and does his job, and most people are none the wiser.

While I'm not sure the world needs yet another conservative radio host, the general vibe of this story is consistent with what I find in my remote work-life: if you don't make a big deal about being far away, nobody notices.

I stay up-to-date on what's happening in Baltimore by reading the local paper online. I keep abreast of activities at the university where I work by staying on top of the internal news sites and talking to folks. I work the same hours as my East Coast colleagues and customers, and maintain a local number.

There have been several times when a customer has said to me, "Well, why don't you swing across the street some time and we'll grab some lunch to celebrate finishing this project." When I come out of the closet wearing my slippers, so to speak, the genuine surprise on the other end of the phone is wonderful.

I need to figure out how to record those conversations for my quarterly remote arrangement reviews.

No comments: