Monday, March 12, 2007

Debating the Pros and Cons of the Shut-In Lifestyle

Although, can it really be called a lifestyle when your wardrobe consists almost exclusively of jeans, wrinkled shirts and slippers? But I digress.

Business Week has an interesting debate on the pros and cons of telecommuting, prompted by the Governor of Virginia setting a goal to have 20% of state employees telecommuting by 2010. Maybe I'm biased, but all the cons seem like problems that could be handled with the appropriate use of technology.

The thing I struggle with most, isolation, is something that I'm addressing with more IMs, getting more people on IM, and sending cameras to the folks who need them. I'm also using this blog to make me feel more connected, and to remind myself about all the good things about telecommuting.

But it's a good read, nonetheless. And an admirable goal -- way to go, Virginia!

No comments: