Thursday, July 24, 2008

Preparing to Telecommute? Practice Makes Perfect

Before you make a big commitment to the telecommuting lifestyle, it can be a good idea to make sure that all the things you'll need to foster your slipper-centric gig will work as well as you hope. Web Worker Daily has a good post about this -- although I think they're thinking of a bit more of an adventuresome telecommuting lifestyle (one that involves tropical climes and wonky wi-fi).

Whatever.

Even if you're just going to be trekking across your patio, you need to be absolutely sure that you'll be productive. When I first started contemplating becoming a shut-in, I began using the tools of the trade -- teleconferencing, webcams, online meeting software, remote terminals -- before I ever left the office. This was good in two important ways: I validated the technology would do what we expected, and I also proved to managers and powers that be that I could actually work through these tools. That made everyone happy, and much more comfortable with the whole idea of me being a gazillion miles away.

No comments: