Thursday, May 17, 2007

Why All the Hating On [Insert Computer Brand Here]

I have a confession to make: even though I love my computer, and I spend an unnatural amount of time interacting with it, I am not super-crazy about horsing around with its insides. I did the obligatory take-a-PC-apart-and-put-it-back-together-and-you-get-to-keep-this-cute-screwdriver class and that's fun and all. But when push comes to shove, I really just want it to sit under my desk and work goddammit, and I don't need to be messing with a bunch of case mods and overclocking and whatnot. Really.

So I love going to mom-and-pop computer shops for fixes -- we used to use a great one in Baltimore called Little Shop of Hardware, and here in the 'Burque Sandia Computers has been knowledgeable, friendly, and more than a little geeky (my favorite thing is talking to men who can't make eye contact with a computer lady).

But why-o-why does every geek in every shop have to have a strong opinion about whatever I bring into the shop? Emachines? Junk! Dell? They're getting sued by the state of NY! Mom-and-pop build? You can't trust those! Apple? If that's how you want to be (lameoid)!

Enough already. At some level the computer is wires, chips, disks, and some other crap that makes it all go. I just want to be able to write, work, and maybe look at pictures of the kids now and then.

So stop hatin' on my PC, brother man.

No comments: