Wednesday, May 16, 2007

One Hundred Posts


It seems obligatory that one spend at least some time doing meta-blogging, that is to say blogging about the practice of blogging. Or as Madge the Manicurist used to say, "You're soaking in it!"

When I look back (lo those five months ago) at why I started this blog, it was in part to remind me to reflect positively on the experience of being a shut-in. And indeed, most things about telecommuting are truly wonderful:


  • I'm able to literally stop and smell the roses by wandering out into my backyard.

  • I can indulge my office supply fetishism at unprecedented levels.

  • I gas up my car so infrequently that I'm constantly shocked by how much the price of gas has gone up in the last month. It's kind of like getting on the scale once every six months -- good god, when did I gain fifty pounds?!?

  • My feet are resting on a warm and peaceful dog who is sleeping under my desk right now.

The downsides exist, too. There is the risk that I'm getting out of touch with my rapidly changing Real Office, missing out on the subtle politics that may be happening as we navigate the time after losing our long-time boss. There is the possibility that I may never be promoted again. And there is a lingering feeling of isolation that isn't quite assuaged by videoconferencing and IM. But on the whole, it's pretty much fun.


And on this, the occasion of my one hundredth post, I also issue this solemn promise: I will never blog about blogging again on this blog.


To the extent that I can avoid it.

No comments: