Friday, May 9, 2008

Two Weeks Into the New Telecommuting Gig and...

...I'm loving it. Big surprise.

But seriously, I can't imagine why I voluntarily gave up this arrangement before. Well, I do know. It was no fun to telecommute without a boss who was totally into making it work. But two weeks into working with my old wonderful boss in the new job, and it's like I never left. Could there be anything better than boss who is happy to be available for web conferences and responds to IM and email reliably? Love it.

The stuff outside work is good too. I'm working long east coast hours, but since I am turning into an old lady and I'm unable to sleep in past 5:30 in the morning under normal circumstances, I might as well get up and get to work. Even if I work from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm their time, I'm still wrapping it up at 4:00 my time. I'm still able to hit the gym after work, get the little kid at the Little Corral*, and cook a nutritious dinner for the family, all before I would have been home from the Real Office gig.

This is complete, total, and utterly unmitigated luxury.

It makes me realize what dead and wasted time a commute is -- even if it's just twenty minutes in the car each way, it's useless. I suppose I could have listened to self-improvement books on tape rather than crank the MC Chris to make myself feel rebellious and hip despite the straight arrow job. But I didn't do that, so it was not necessarily time well spent. Now there is zero commute time, I'm working as soon as I'm awake and clean.

It is actually all good. I'm not just saying that. My job = good. I can hardly stand it.

* Daycare is actually called Little Corral. They do not use ropes on the children. At least not that I have seen.

No comments: