Sunday, June 17, 2007

Is telecommuting wasted on me?


Sometimes I wonder. I read other people's descriptions of telecommuting, filled as they are with jaunts to the coffee shop and volunteering one morning a week at their kids' schools, and I am forced to take a hard look at my own telecommuting lifestyle.

I get up really early because I work east coast hours. I work steadily throughout the day, not running on my lunch breaks as much as I would like, and not really taking lunch breaks as much as I would like, either. I do occasionally wander around the yard with the dog, but this generally takes me about five minutes, and then I'm back at it. I find myself not going to things at school, not doing laundry or small household chores during the day.

Basically I've managed to turn telecommuting into a 9-5 grind. How can I possibly be such an utter dork?

I don't think I'm a total workaholic, not by any stretch. I spend a reasonable portion of my day checking CNN, blogging, and otherwise wasting time on the Internet, but I just don't get out much.

The way I see it, I have two options: I can work a lot harder at chilling the heck out and taking more advantage of the possibilities of the telecommuting lifestyle. Or I can admit defeat and make an effort to go back to a Real Office setting where my possibilities for advancement will not be limited by the fact that everyone thinks I'm wearing pajamas all day.

Too many choices, I'm afraid. And this is something that I'm traditionally bad at: deciding what it is I really want. Heck.

No comments: