Friday, January 9, 2009

Why Is Videoconferencing So Hard?

I have really been struggling with videoconferencing since starting the new gig. I don't know what the problem is. Even with simple tools like Skype, my camera often peters out two thirds of the way through a webconference. It's getting on my nerves.

Luckily, most of the people I meet with are not webcam-enabled, and so desktop and audio sharing tools like the wonderful GoToMeeting work really well for those kinds of get togethers. They're dead easy to use, quick to fire up and meet, go through firewalls with a single bound, and nobody has ever had a hard time connecting to me.

Unluckily, the person I most need to videoconference with is my boss. He's a recovering nerd, so he's pretty tolerant of the technical mayhem, but it's getting old. So my new year's resolution is to find a better videconferencing tool. Yugma? DimDim? WebEx? NetMeeting? Not sure. I'm fixing to try them all and see what will work well with my cambot and the network in the Real Office.

I'll let you know how I make out.

2 comments:

Kevin Micalizzi said...

Stella-

Personally, I find the video side of conferencing interesting, but still think it's trumped by what you can get done.

Dimdim Free lets you broadcast your video as presenter and host up to 20 attendess. More importantly, you can share documents, collaborate, browse web pages together, and share your desktop.

If you like it, our Dimdim Pro offers 2-way video ($99/year for up to 20 attendees.) If you haven't yet, give Dimdim a try www.dimdim.com.

Thanks.

-k
Kevin Micalizzi, Community Manager
Dimdim Web Conferencing / www.dimdim.com
e: kevin@dimdim.com / twitter: @meetdimdim
On Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/dimdim-facebook

Andrew_Mikogo said...

Hi Stella,
Just wanted to let you know about Mikogo, a free desktop sharing tool, that may interest you for your new year's resolution :-)
Mikogo is a very easy-to-use solution that allows you to share your screen with up to 10 participants at no cost. Ideal for 1-to-1 or group collaboration such as free online meetings, Web presentations or remote support.
There are no configurations, network/firewall changes, no need to think about ports, etc - making it a straightforward tool for all to use.
Some features include meeting scheduler, switch presenter, recording & playback, whiteboard, file transfer, application selection, and more.
Take a look at the website or our blog, and see what you think.

Regards,

Andrew
The Mikogo Team
andrew(at)mikogo.com