Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Embracing Authority

Lately I've been getting a lot of stuff done at work. I spent the first six months trying to get things aligned so I can do the things that we need to do, and now those tools are in place. I've been cranking out stuff we need, but I'm coming to a realization, and that is this:

I need to push my colleagues to do things in better ways.

I was hired because I have a lot of experience in doing the things I do. I have big ideas and the technical skills to make them happen. But I'm still kind of treating myself like a little worker bee, rather than someone who is leading the charge toward greatness. And it's time to change that. Because that's why I'm there.*

I need to work on taking my consensus building instincts and turn them into "bending people to my will but in such a nice way that they don't realize that's what happened" kinds of skills. Because I'm pretty sure I have those skills, too, I just need to cultivate and embrace them.

* Um, here. I'm here, but I work there. Oh I get confused.

No comments: