Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Wonder What Her Tax Implications Are

I love this story about a NY state tax employee who is now telecommuting part time for the state from her retirement home in South Carolina: people are giving them a hard time, but she points out that they have auditors in the field all the time, so it's really nothing new.

Except of course that they tax the bejeezus out of anyone who does exactly what she is doing. It doesn't sound to me like her arrangements meet the "convenience of the employer" rules that NY loves so dearly. Another great feature: her job is to translate tax code into words that people can understand.

My suggestion: start with section 601(e) of your stinking tax law, and expand outward to 132.18(a)...frankly, this whole document can take a flying leap, as far as I'm concerned.

No comments: