Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Getting Telecommuting Started Right

As loyal readers know, Stella recently went back to the ranks of full-time telecommuters. So far, it's a pretty sweet gig. I'm back to working for one of the smartest guys I know. I'm working for one of the up and coming development operations, a place I really believe is on the right track with the right tools to really make a difference in the world. And that's cool.

But I think I am struggling a bit against a corporate climate that finds remote work a bit, um, strange. People seem eager to treat my time face to face with them as the only time we can meet. I'm stacked up with meetings like there's no tomorrow. And tomorrow is equally filled with meetings, frankly.

I know that it's on me to make it work...to relentlessly pursue online meetings with people when we're not physically co-located...to call people over and over again until the realize that phone will work well. See, I know from experience that if we all morally and philosophically and epistemologically agree that phone calls are the moral equivalent of meeting face to face, and we all embrace the tools that make it all work then guess what: It Will Work.

I can see I have some work to do, though.

No comments: