Monday, October 5, 2009

You Know, I'm Not Even Tempted

One of the things you always hear when you tell people that you telecommute is, "I wouldn't be able to resist the lure of the television/housework/laundry/goofing off." But you know, it really isn't that hard to resist these things. Housework is not that fun, frankly, so I would have to be working on something pretty darn horrible in order to opt for housework over contributing to the success of the fine institution for which I work.

I'm not saying I don't goof off a bit. The interwebs are always beckoning with updates from acquaintances on the FriendBook, assorted kittens with assorted captions, and people to yak with virtually. But those things don't take me away from what I'm doing in a meaningful way, and are easily segregated to a few minutes here and there.

The biggest temptation I face is not getting onto the big projects. It's very easy to get wound up in doing little chore-style work tasks and not getting to my big thinking, big writing, big planning, big doing projects. But I'm working on that.

No comments: