Friday, October 16, 2009

Routine Changes to Routine

Stella just got back from an onsite visit (note lack of posts. Sorry 'bout that) and as usual, this break in the routine of getting up and working has been a blessing and a curse. It's great to get out, to see people, and in this case to do the big reunion-homecoming-parents weekend. I was able to drive a golf cart around campus, talk to students and alumni, and generally feel like a real part of the institution where I work. The downside is the disruption to my schedule -- rather than work, I meet about work and since my staff consists of "me" I end up with a big list of things to do.

Web Worker Daily has an interesting post about changing your routine -- new music, a different coffee shop, paint your office, do something different -- as a way to improve your productivity. And I think that's true -- provided the change to your routine is something that leads to being able to actually still work.

No comments: