Sunday, February 3, 2008

I've Got A Little Crush on Mike Rowe

You know, the guy from Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel. Ol' Stella isn't one to shill for corporations, so rest assured if I say I like him, I really like him. We've been watching him for years, having had the benefit of seeing him on the classic "Your New Home," on which he interviewed real estate agents and builders about the many fine attributes of the homes they were hawking.

I wish I were kidding, but we seriously used to get up on Sunday morning specifically to watch this show, and it wasn't because we were looking for Our New Home.

Fast Company has him on the cover of this month's offering, and the article about him is fun to read. You should also watch Dirty Jobs, if you get a hankering to see the guy we like to call "The Most Relaxed Man on TV" handle lots and lots of manure, and the occasional piece of heavy equipment. The FC article also includes this fine aside by Mr. Rowe, seven useful traits that I have employed on the job, I'm afraid. Even the vomiting one, sadly.

  1. Never follow your passion, but by all means bring it with you.
  2. Beware of teamwork.
  3. Vomit proudly and whenever necessary.
  4. Be careful, but don't be fooled--safety is never first.
  5. Think about what you are doing--never how.
  6. Ignore advice such as "Work smart, not hard." It's dangerous--and moronic.
  7. Consider quitting.

2 comments:

Zinctopai said...

Hello!!

Stella Commute said...

Hey, Zinctopai, thanks for reading. Always good to find another Mike Rowe fan. Or is it Micro fan?

Anywho.