Friday, March 7, 2008

Saving the Nation Through Telecommuting

Here's an op-ed from the Baltimore Sun (my old hometown newspaper!) that calls for more and better investment in broadband infrastructure. It brings up so many good points in favor of dramatically improving the speed of home access, I just hardly know where to start.

Okay, yes I do. This is my favorite: "According to the Environmental Protection Agency, a 10 percent rise in the number of workers telecommuting once a week would lead fuel use to drop by 1.2 million gallons per week."

Well, heck, in an age of energy insecurity where gas is a billion dollars a barrel (or $103, I forget the exact figures), it might could be that including telecommuting (and the bandwidth it takes to support it) in an energy plan is a good idea.

No comments: